Bulldog Club of America

Bulldog Club of New England 

 

President: Maryanne Sefchuk
1st Vice-President: Suzanne Beaupre
2nd Vice-President: Gene Simpson
Secretary:



 
Monica Weckesser
30 First Street
Tauton, MA 02780
508-837-3048
Treasurer: Edward Kozatek
Board:




 
Joanne Pietrantonio
Jean Kozatek
Debra Puerini
Thomas Rattigan
Marie Simpson
 
AKC Delegate: Francesca J Castaneda
 
 
The Bulldog Club of New England Incorporated was founded in 1922.

The first founders and first officers of the club were W. G. N. Clark, president; Mr. C. Raper, vice president; and John Morley, secretary-treasurer.

Other founders were: Mrs. W. G. N. Clark, Mrs. H. Winans Burnett, Mr. John E. Davies, Mr. Henry Forrester, Mr. G.Alderic Germaine, Miss E. Q. Huntington, Mrs. W. Palmer Jones, Mrs. Antice Munn , Miss Jeanette Payson, Mr. Lyman Rogers, Miss Lucy Adams, Miss Grace Crosby, Mr. Charles F. Koppel, Mrs. Annie Goodwin, Mr. Elmer Hoskins, Mr. William Lawlor, Mr. Harvey Maxwell, Miss Majorie Nichols,, Dr. Roy Peck and Mr. John W. Vaughn.

The first Bulldog Club of New England specialty show was in October 28, 1922, at Horticultural Hall in Boston, Massachusetts. An entry of 52 was judged by T. W. Martin. Winners Dog and Best of Breed was Warfleigh Sensible Fred, owned by Mrs. Thomas Grisdale. The Winners Bitch was Ruth Law, owned by Mrs. W. N. G. Clark

The Bulldog Club of New England became a member club of the American Kennel Club in 1947. Mr. John J. Tierney was the club's first AKC Delegate in December 1972.

The club elected Mrs. Gertrude Freedman as its AKC Delegate for 1973-1974. However, the AKC refused to seat Mrs. Freedman until the AKC Constitution was amended to include female delegates. The BCNE dispensed with its AKC delegate until the AKC voted on the Amendment to its Constitution allowing women to be seated as delegates.

Mrs. Freedman was seated by the AKC with two other female delegates in 1973.

The Bulldog Club of New England did not become a member of the Bulldog Club of America until 1969, following the Parent Club's major re-organization in 1949-1950.

The Bulldog Club of New England hosted the BCA National Specialties in 1972 at Boston, Massachusetts, and again in 1999 at Cromwell, Connecticut.
The club has published a club history, which includes photos of champions and non-champions alike. The book has more than 500 pages and will soon be on sale through the Bulldog Club of New England.

This club is considered a regional club, but it is actually a Boston-based club.
There are approximately 170 members. The club meets the first Tuesday of each month at the Dedham Community Center, Dedham, Massachusetts.


Submitted by: Jean Kozateck
Information gathered from: BCNE, AKC records and Mrs. T. Berwick Maxners's Early History