San Antonio Bulldog Club
Click here for the Club website.
The first Bulldog specialty show of the San Antonio Bulldog Club was held in 1958, according to the Bulldog Club of America’s Hall of Fame Individual Contributors Award for Nan S. Burke. She was a founder and charter member of the San Antonio club.This formerly posthumous award, the highest honor offered to a member by the BCA, was announced at the BCA’s National Specialty Show banquet in 1994 at Indianapolis, Indiana.
Ms. Burke of San Antonio was honored for making an outstanding contribution to the BCA during her many years as a member, Division and National officer. She served as treasurer of the BCA in 1958-1959.
Her award stated that she was also “the driving force behind the founding of the San Antonio Bulldog Club” in an area of Texas where there were very few breeders and regular exhibitors.
An ardent admirer and tireless promoter of the breed in the San Antonio area and the state of Texas, Ms. Burke was a member of the club for 30 years, serving several terms as its secretary and as its president.
Ms. Burke was also a member for many years of the San Antonio Kennel Club, an all-breed organization, where she represented the Bulldog breed and the San Antonio Bulldog Club.
Following the reorganization of the BCA in 1950, Ms. Burke was one of only 19 members of BCA Division IV. Among her many accomplishments, Ms. Burke edited the BCA 1958-1959 Annual Report in 1960.
Researched and submitted by G. William Andree.