Bulldog Club of America

Bulldog Club of Greater Cleveland

President: Barb Morgan
Vice President: Shirley Slaterpryce
Secretary: Sue Justavick
Treasurer: Sue Martin
Board Members: Karyn Simmons
  Kelly Copen
  Tom Justavick

The Bulldog Club of Greater Cleveland Inc. was organized in 1933 in Cleveland by a small group of northern Ohio Bulldog owners who wanted to improve the quality of the Bulldog breed and to exhibit at dog shows. One in that group was a Mr. Lowenthal, whose son, Sheldon, is still active.Dolly and Burt Blowers, Dick and Hilda Muckle, and the Bill Goreck family were also early members.

Other members during the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s included the Schiletz family, Mildred Johnson, Al and Clair Rosen, the Materna family, and the Sevilles.

The original dues were $2.00 for adult members and $1.00 for junior members. There is still an active junior membership program.

The club has sponsored a Bulldog specialty show, including sweepstakes, annually since 1933.
It has hosted a number of Bulldog Club of America Division II specialty shows and puppy matches.
One of the most memorable puppy matches was judged by Robert Hetherington at the Schiletz home in Richfield, Ohio. There were at least 100 puppies entered. Due to such a huge entry, Mr. Hetherington missed his flight home that evening.

There are about 60 members of the club, both active and honorary Life members.
The Club normally meets on the first Tuesday evening of each month in the Cleveland/Akron area, and has an increasing number of new members.

For more information, contact Sue Martin at 330-699-6906.

-- Submitted by Margaret Materna, secretary.